Worship Hours

Sunday Schedule:

9:45 A.M. Sunday School

11:00 A.M. Morning Worship



Summer Schedule:

8:45 A.M. Sunday School

10:00 A.M Morning Worship



A Word Of Invitation

Welcome! We are glad to have you here. We pray God's blessings upon you. May you find inspiration on this site. We are faithful, joyful followers of Jesus Christ and members of American Baptist Churches USA. We also hope, if you are in the area, you will come worship with us on Sunday. You are most welcome!





Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Are You Ready to Plant Your Flag?

God has many surprises for us in our lives. Not long ago, in a class on the theology of romantic love, our professor stated that there are many areas in our faith where there is a great range of interpretation based on sound biblical study and interpretation. He stated that in these areas a time would come when each of us will have to decide where to plant our flag and take our personal stand (mind you, your thinking on where that is can and does shift as you mature spiritually and that's a good thing ... if uncomfortable and unsettling). Far sooner than I expected, circumstances arose where I was called upon to plant my flag and take a stand on thorny issues facing the church today. Left to my own devices, I probably would have chosen to avoid these issues, focus on more pressing matters (in my estimation), or find a way to artfully skirt the issue (I work with words for a living after all). After much prayer, Bible reading, and consultation, I planted my flag and took my stand.

There were two surprises for me in this experience. The first was that this requirement from God arrived so soon after the classroom discussion. The second was how good it felt to stated clearly, faithfully, and civilly where I stand. I am hoping this will lead to productive dialogue with the group asking the questions. If nothing else, I am now ready for these questions in the future. In either case, I will be interested to see where this leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment