Worship Hours

Sunday Schedule:

9:45 A.M. Sunday School

11:00 A.M. Morning Worship



Summer Schedule:

8:45 A.M. Sunday School

10:00 A.M Morning Worship



A Word Of Invitation

Welcome! We are glad to have you here. We pray God's blessings upon you. May you find inspiration on this site. We are faithful, joyful followers of Jesus Christ and members of American Baptist Churches USA. We also hope, if you are in the area, you will come worship with us on Sunday. You are most welcome!





Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Let There be Peace on Earth - Sing Along: Followed by Random Acts of Kindness for 01/01/11



Everybody sing!

Now that you have sung, I have a modest proposal. It's nothing original or radical, but worth an attempt I think. Let's make New Year's Day a day when peace on earth does begin with each of us. Take a moment out of the day to perform a random act of kindness for someone, anyone. Keep it simple and doable. For instance, if it is raining or snowing out in the morning and you see an elderly neighbor's paper out on the lawn, move it up to the front porch or front door while you're out picking up your own. If you're in line with a bunch of people at a check out and they are starting to become impatient and cranky, be relaxed and friendly. Strike up a conversation and watch the line's mood shift. Say thank you or God Bless You to the bagger at the end of that line in the store. Take a shopping cart or two back to the store from the parking lot.

Here's another example: while working at a nursing home in a retirement community last summer, I was instructed to touch a hand or shoulder during a conversation with a resident. Everyone can use this kind of contact. Not being the touchy-feely sort, this took some practice. But, it was habit forming. Late in my time there, I attended a concert given for residents and staff. I was sitting near the end of a row. A woman approached with a walker. She arrived and reached out for the arm of the chair to steady herself. Not thinking, but now conditioned, I reached up my hand, which she took, and I guided her into her seat. I was surprised at myself for doing this and she beamed at me over this simple kindness, which was graceful as well as helpful. It made the beginning of that concert memorable for us both.

So, New Year's Day this year, 2011, one simple act of kindness ... let peace begin with you.

Who knows. Maybe this will be habit forming and we'll all keep up the habit every day.

Hey, and do me a favor. If this works out well for you, please leave a comment here at this post and let me know what you did. If there was a positive, peaceful result, I'd like to know that too!

Care to sing that song together again?

No comments:

Post a Comment